We depend on your donations to fund our services. Donations can be submitted via PayPal or any major credit card using the button below.
Improving the quality of life in Madison County by making it a more humane place for cats and dogs is our mission. We humanely reduce the number of stray and neglected pets through transports to low cost spay/neuter clinics, trap, neuter and return (TNR) programs, assisting with providing shelter and food, fence projects and networking with rescues, shelters and veterinarians.
Good Shepherd is a proud recipient of a 2017 grant from the Iowa Federation of Humane Societies. The grant assisted with a spa/ neuter/ vaccination costs for a large colony of community cats.
Good Shepherd is not a shelter.
We carry out our mission through the following activities.
- Provide monthly transport (3rd Thursday every month.) of cats at no charge to area low cost spay/neuter clinics in Des Moines and West Des Moines.
- Promote participation in low cost clinics offered Madison County or neighboring counties vet clinics when available.
- Work with shelters and rescues in neighboring counties and beyond to reduce the numbers of homeless Madison County pets.
- Implement and support a TNR (trap, neuter and release) Program to help humanely reduce cat overpopulation.
- Work with families that want to keep their pets, but need help to do so.
- Assist people in need with grants for spay/neuter of dogs and cats.
- Offer education about and support animal cruelty and neglect laws.
- Work with shelters and rescues to offer low cost micro chip clinics, dog training, dog fence projects and other services in Madison County.
Winter Will Be Here Before You Know It
We will be giving away some winter shelters for cats on a first come, first serve basis this Fall. These are styrofoam shipping cubes that have been painted with Polyurethane to withstand wet winter weather and filled with straw.
Call Vicky at 515-314-5766 for additional information.